By Hayley Verwey (ex-staff member, now at University)
- Breathe through your stretches. Breathing while you stretch is so important as it ensures oxygen is getting to all your muscles – when you go into a stretch breathe out all the way to enable a deeper stretch.
- Incorporate dynamic stretches. These are stretches with movement which loosen up the muscles and thoroughly stretches them out.
- Hold each stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds. This enables muscle fibres to be stretched out adequately and give maximum results.
- Stretch every day. Find the time to do this every day even if it is just for 5 minutes – this will improve body elasticity and increase flexibility.
- Stretch with music. This is will help motivate you and it will be easier to stretch to the rhythm of the song.