Jaime Dungar (ex-staff member of Backstreet, now at University)
As a dancer having a positive mindset is crucial for development of yourself as a dancer and a person. Whether you have been dancing for a long time, just started or don’t dance at all it is important to be aware of your mindset at all times.
Here are 8 tips on how to maintain a positive mindset in and out of dance:
- Put your outside life aside during dance class- go into dance with a fresh mindset and try to forget anything bad that may have happened that day.
- Connect with new people- make new friends that are fun to be around and put you in a good mood.
- Challenge yourself- try new things and get out of your comfort zone.
- Give yourself positive feedback- if you think you do something well praise yourself, it will make you feel good.
- Help others- this is another way to make yourself and other people feel happy.
- Eat and drink well- whatever you put into your body will reflect whether you have a positive mindset. Eat foods that make you feel alive.
- Focus on the present- there is no point in worrying about things have haven’t happened yet or that is in the past.
- Start the day with a positive affirmation- wake up and feed your mind positivity from the start of the day, e.g Today will be an exciting day.
These are tips that have helped me through times where my mindset hasn’t been as positive as it could be, so I hope they help you as well.