APPLY TO BE A STUDENT TEACHER
- Make a difference in other people’s lives
- Build confidence and empowerment
- Develop leadership skills
- Receive loads of personal and professional development
- Gain ability to adapt to situations and think on your feet
- Gain effective communication skills
- Receive compulsory training and a handbook
- Have the opportunity to perform on stage with your students (if approved).
REQUIREMENTS OF A STUDENT TEACHER
- Dance at Backstreet for at least 6 months
- Minimum age is 12 years old
- You MUST be very confident in your own dancing – because students look up to you!!
- Intermediate to advanced level of dance skill/ability
- Love of children
- Not have any visible tattoos or multiple piercings
- A positive attitude
- Responsible and Punctual
- Maturity (professional)
- Willing to learn and take direction from your Teacher/Director
- Be willing to interact with your students before, during and after class
- Personal pride in your own appearance (remember you are a role model for these children)
- Commitment to your allocated class – every week where possible
- Commitment to attend compulsory training sessions and meetings with the Director
NOTE: You will only be allocated a class that you have experience in eg. If you learn jazz, you will only be allocated a jazz class. If you learn hip hop, you will only be allocated a hip hop class. If you have experience in all styles, you could be allocated any class you choose.
PROCESS OF APPLYING TO BE A STUDENT TEACHER
- Complete the Application Form and submit by the end of week 1 of the term
- Receive news if you have secured a spot as a Student Teacher – week 2.
- Receive your Work Experience Agreement and name badges- week 2.
- Return your signed Agreement.
- Attend Compulsory Training.
- Start your Work Experience as outlined in your Agreement – approx week 2 or 3 of the term.
UPON COMPLETION STUDENT TEACHERS RECEIVE A CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT:
- outlining 3 areas you did great at
- outlining an area you could work on for next time
STUDENT TEACHERS WILL LEARN
- Professionalism (inside and outside the studio)
- Representing Backstreet
- Being a positive role model
- Dance Safety
- Building confidence in yourself
- Building confidence in your students
- Basic Discipline and Behaviour Strategies
- The importance of line up before class and how to do so
- Connecting with students and Parents
COMPLETE THE APPLICATION FORM here.
TERM 3 WORK EXPERIENCE DATES FOR TERM 3:
(all are compulsory if you are applying)
Selected Student Teachers for Term 3 are as follows:
Tues 1A – Isabella Whyte
Tues 1B – Ellis Mappin
Tues 1C – Leah Walker
Wed 1F – Meleesa Villani
Wed 2F – Andi Hayman
Thurs 2K – Claire Hollett
Thurs 1L – Leah Walker
Sat 1R – Tracy Gardiner
Sat 1S – Lisa Morse
Sat 2R – Miley Stokes
Sat 2S – Andi Hayman
Friday 5th August 3.30pm to 4.30pm with Miss Brooke in Studio 1
– If you are not in Urban Hip Hop, you are welcome to stay behind for another 15 mins to ask specific questions to Miss Brooke.
– Wear: Backstreet Uniform (so we can approve) & wear your Badges & dance shoes
– Bring: Pen and prepare some questions to ask
Week of 1st August (you will be required to observe your allocated class and complete an observation form).
- Bring a pen and the OBSERVATION FORM that is in your WORK EXPERIENCE PACK.
- You will be given a chair to sit on near the Teachers station so you can observe the class.
- Observe and write notes about what the Assistant & Teacher does; strategies; how things are said and done, etc
- You are welcome to watch more classes if you choose, but must choose classes 3-9yo.
Class Choreography Dropbox Link:
We will send you a dropbox link of your class’s choreography before you start assisting in the class room. Approx end of week 4 of term. This is so you are familiar with the choreo and can learn and practice it at home. Knowing the choreography is important as your students rely on you.
In Class Assisting:
Start Week of 8th August for 4 weeks (arrive 30 mins prior to your allocated class and leave 15-20 mins after your class has finished)
Dates & Times for Term 3:
– Deb’s Student Teachers can choose either:
1) Thursday 25th August at 3.15pm OR 7pm
2) Friday 26th August (after Festival Parade rehearsal) at 8pm
3) Saturday 27th August at 7.45am (but arrive before 8am)
– Brooke’s Student Teachers can choose either:
1) Thursday 25th August at 3.15pm
2) Saturday 27th August at 11.30am
– Jordann’s Student Teacher on Thursday 25th August at 3.45pm
If you pass the performance approval, you will receive a newsletter outlining what to expect at rehearsals and the Production.
When you are with the Teacher for this one on one meeting – this is also a great chance to ask any specific questions you may have. Use your time wisely as one on one with the Teacher is hard to come by. Value the time.
Week of 5th September
– Refer to the rehearsal schedule online – released in approx Week 2 or 3 of term
End of Term Performance:
Saturday 10th September. View the Production schedule when released.
Return your Student Teacher costume along with Name Badges on the Monday or Tuesday after the Production between 1pm and 6.30pm.